Over the last decade, demolishing older homes in order to rebuild has become a widespread practice.
There are lots of reasons for this rising trend, some of these reasons are:
- People love the area they live in, however, they have outgrown their home, so they arrive at the decision to either renovate (which can be quite expensive) or alternatively to demolish and rebuild.
- Older established areas tend to have larger lots, families prefer larger lots as it provides more space for kids to play, therefore they need to demolish the older home.
- The other end of the scale is where the block is subdividable and by subdividing and selling part of original lot provides the funds to be able to build a dream home.
You may think that demolishing and rebuilding is a daunting task, but it can be made easy as long as you have the right people to help you.
Here at Design Better Buildings, we’ve been helping people through the process of demolishing and building their new home for over 25 years.
The following provides you with an idea of how to go about the process of demolishing and rebuilding when you involve Design Better Buildings team:-
- Making the decision to demolish is a challenging decision, but you’ll find that once the decision is made then everything else can fall into place.
- This decision is arrived at once you’ve exhausted all other avenues in order to achieve your goal, whether it is adding an extension to the home (which can be very expensive), or relocating, which can mean moving out of the area.
- Once the decision to demolish has been made, the first thing you would ideally do is to talk to an experienced building designer or architect in order to discuss your ideas, and establish whether your ideas will work with your site. (This is where DDB can start getting involved).
- Once you’re satisfied that your ideas can be translated into a design that works on your site, you will need to appoint a designer or architect to come up with a design that meets your requirements.
- While the design process is taking place we can call for quotes from multiple demolition companies for the demolishing of the existing residence.
- Once the quotes are received, we work out who to appoint based on their quotes and what’s included, and excluded.
- At this stage, If there is a need to subdivide the lot, we also seek quotes from surveying companies to carry out the subdivision of the property.
- While all the above is happening, you would liaise with the designer and hopefully start to get an idea of what your home will look like.
- Once your design is complete, we prepare for council submission and tender process for multiple builders.
- Once you receive your builder quotes and have gone through all the info you can then appoint a builder.
- Now that the builder has been appointed you can start thinking about the demolition of the home.
While the above may sound daunting, most of the organisational work will be carried by DBB including demolition, building, and the surveying.
Your level of involvement is upto you. The advantage of coming to DDB is that you haven’t appointed a builder and you are not obligated to anyone until you are ready to appoint a company for its respective area of responsibility.
The key benefit of this arrangement with Design Better Buildings is that you save money because the minute you appoint a builder, they charge for everything they do for you.
You are also more in control of the process, and you are more likely to get exactly what you want rather than be influenced by someone whose interest is just to build and not necessarily deliver you the best result from a design perspective.